This time last week we were returning from a weekend in the sparkling city of Sevilla. Steeped in history, yet youthful in feel, it is a welcoming, warm and charismatic place to visit.
Seville offers some amazing culinary options with bodegas and tapas restaurants of varying degrees of formality lining the cobbled streets of the old town. Whilst there we sampled some amazing food, from modern tapas to a classic fine dining experience in the famous Alfonso 8th hotel. A real old treat.
Famous for its flamenco and its oranges, I managed to return with some dodgy dancing shoes for my daughter, marmalade and some orange infused oil. The latter of these inspired this wonderful fresh salad.
To make two generous salads or a large accompaniment for a meal for four, you need:
- Mixed soft salad leaves
- Half an orange chopped into small chunks
- Half a large mango sliced thinly
- Quarter of a small red onion finely chopped
- Toasted pumpkin seeds for the top
- Optional crumbled feta
For the dressing you need:
- 50ml orange infused oil. This will work well with olive oil, but add some orange peel into the dressing to bring out more orange flavour
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt
- Juice from half an orange (may need more once you have tasted at the end)
- Around a tablespoon of fresh finely chopped mint
- Salt and pepper to season
There is no real recipe here, but here’s the basic steps:
- Prepare your salad in a bowl or plate. Layer the ingredients with leaves, fruit, then crumbled cheese (optional) and warm toasted nuts on top.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together and taste. You may need to tweak the flavours to your liking.
- Pour the dressing generously over the salad and eat straight away.
Heavenly. Enjoy x